Decorating recipe for a summer party
The unofficial beginning of summer is here . Time to summerize your home in preparation for all those backyard barbecues, pool parties and casual gatherings that can last long into the warm nights. While the food is the star of most parties, your home decor is certainly part of the recipe.
Add a pinch of this and a dash of that and you have a home that is ready for summer entertaining. Here are some quick and easy seasonal changes to turn your ordinary home into a summer retreat.
- Switch out your artwork. Replace your normal paintings and prints with black and white photos of past family vacations. Frame inexpensive posters of sailboats, beach scenes or gardens in bloom. Better yet, pull out the watercolors and have the family create their own artwork for a one of a kind gallery. What a great way to create fun vacation memories.
- Sew or purchase lots of inexpensive throw pillows in bright summery colors and pile them high on your sofa and chairs.
- Fill glass hurricanes with shells and sea glass and place them on the dining room table. This centerpiece will last you all season long.
- Even the kitchen can use a touch of summer. Glass canisters filled with old fashioned candy is a tempting way to add color and whimsy to your countertops. And yummy too!
- Invest in some wonderful outdoor dinnerware that can last all summer long. Today’s colors and patterns look like real china. You can choose a patriotic red, white and blue that is always appropriate or opt for a sophisticated Tuscan patttern in mediterranean shades of orange, olive green and blue.
- Slipcover your furniture. You can sew your own or have them made. The money spent is worth not having to worry about suntan lotion, messy spills and dirty hands and feet.
- Add some wicker in the form of baskets, casual furniture, even lampshades.
- For chilly nights around the firepit have a selection of summer themed blankets and quilts. Look for patterns that depict summer scenes or choose luscious colors like ocean blue, raspberry pink and sunny yellow.
Once the house is ready for summer so are you. All that is left to do is plan a menu and invite friends and family over for a day or evening of relaxation and fun. Isn’t that what summer is all about?