Home decor: Color of the month–White
While some experts may point out that white is not really a color, we all think of it as one of the most important colors we use when decorating our homes. What with all the weddings, graduations and easy summer living, June just seems the perfect time to choose white as the color of the month. Think of all the white that surrounds you right now:
- bridal gowns
- graduation gowns
- confirmation and communion outfits
- white slipcovers
- white sandy beaches
- summer clothing such as crisp white cotton blouses for you or yummy eyelet dresses on little girls
- clean white sheets hanging on the line
- fluffy white clouds in the sky
- White sheer curtains blowing in the wind
You get the idea. And, if you have been shopping for white paint or white fabric then you have probably discovered that, like all colors, white comes in several shades. You can introduce white into your decorating plans in many different ways:
- Slipcovers are a great way to have white furniture without worrying about spills and stains. Choose indoor/outdoor fabrics for even more protection.
- White lampshades allow lots of light and you can always embellish them with trim, paint etc.
- White draperies and window treatments offer a clean, crisp look to a sunroom or bedroom for example. They can also be trimmed with colorful fringe, braid or ribbon for a designer look.
- White linens will enhance the look of any dinnerware for a beautiful table setting
Here are some white rooms that might inspire you:
The key to successfully decorating with white is to add lots of interesting texture in the form of sisal rugs, baskets and warm woods.
This all white bedroom designed by Suzanne Lovell offers a restful retreat for the owners.
This white living room is warmed by a fluffy rug and throws and anchored with brown accents found in the furniture, furniture legs and accessories. And the fireplace doesn’t hurt!